The Department of Microbiology was established in the year 2013 at the time of inception of Maharishi Markandeshwar Medical College & Hospital, Solan.
It is a multidisciplinary unit consisting of Bacteriology, Virology, Immunology, Mycology, Anaerobic bacteriology, Parasitology &Myco-bacteriology sections.
The laboratory facilities include conventional microbiological tools as well as state of the art ELISA, BACTEC & MGIT system for diagnostic services. Teaching is an integral part of the departmental academic activity. It offers excellent opportunities for research in infectious diseases.
- To develop state of art facility, in terms of quality, infrastructure and trained manpower so as to enable the students of medical Microbiology to appreciate the etiology, immunopathogenesis& laboratory diagnosis of common infectious & immune mediated diseases
- To deliver timely and accurate diagnostic services to patients
- To create an environment for need based quality research among faculty and students
- Academic training of undergraduate students
- Diagnostic laboratory services
- It has a highly functional facilitated integrated counselling and testing centre (FICTC)
- TB diagnostic services under RNTCP
- Students are encouraged to participate in various activities like poster presentation, workshops, quizes and declamation on various occasions like World TB day, World AIDS day, etc.
- The department offers 24 hrs Microbiology laboratory services to the entire hospital, outreach programs, peripheral health care centers& sister institutions. The services are divided into the different sections with a faculty members observing & authorising the work in each section
The department is actively involved in research activities keeping in view the trust area recognised by the ICMR & WHO. The following are the major research project undertaken.
Workshops/ CME's/ Guest Lectures/Quiz/ Competitions conducted:
- On the occasion of International Conference on “Combating Antibiotic Resistance: A Health Challenge & Priority” organized by NCDC/MOHFW, Government of India from 23rd to 25th Feb. 2016 at New Delhi. A poster competition was organized in department of Microbiology for MBBS students. Two best posters were selected by the selection committee of NCDC for display at the conference
- Organized “Training cum Sensitization on tuberculosis Notification & DOTS strategy” on 24th March 2015
- Conducted Poster competition on Mycobacterium tuberculosis for MBBS students for creating awareness about Tuberculosis on World TB day, on 24th March 2015